No bread is an island

...entire of itself. (With apologies to John Donne!)
I live and breathe breadmaking. I’m an evangelist who would like everyone to make his or her own bread. I want to demystify breadmaking and show it as the easy everyday craft that it is. To this end I endeavour to make my recipes as simple and as foolproof as I possibly can.

I call my blog 'No bread is an island' because every bread is connected to another bread. So a spicy fruit bun with a cross on top is a hot cross bun. This fruit dough will also make a fruit loaf - or Chelsea buns or a Swedish tea ring...
I'm also a vegan, so I have lots of vegan recipes on here - and I'm adding more all the time.

Sunday 5 July 2015

SAVOURY VEGAN TARTS


Just 10 minutes in the oven at 220C

Bread dough:
200g (1 mug) white bread flour
1 crumbled stock cube
1 teaspoon curry powder
125g (1/3rd mug) lukewarm (handhot) water
1 good teaspoon fresh yeast (or level teaspoon dried active yeast)
25g sunflower oil (I used the oil from a jar of sun-dried tomatoes)

Filling/topping:
4 dessertspoon Pateole mushroom pate
1 dessertspoon vegan pesto (Meridian)
4 sun-dried tomatoes, chopped small
4 slices mushroom, 4 slices tomato


Method:
Mix dry ingredients together, then dissolve yeast in the water and add to the mix. Pour in the oil.

Using a stiff palette knife, or a table knife, mix together, bringing the flour in from the sides of the bowl. Once the dough is formed begin to knead - and only knead until the dough is smooth.

Divide the dough into 8 pieces, using the side of your hand as a saw, or a knife. Form each piece into a bun shape and place on your prepared baking sheet, spaced well apart.

To form the tarts, dip the jar of pesto into some flour, then press down onto one of the rolls. The dough should squash out, and up the side of the jar. Repeat with the other rolls.

Mix together the pate, pesto and chopped s-d-tomatoes, then spoon into each tart.




Cover the filling with a large slice of mushroom or tomato (roasted red pepper is also very nice). Sprinkle with nutritional yeast, black pepper and oregano.


Leave to prove (on your worktop is fine) until the dough is risen and puffy. Bake for ten minutes at 220C or Gas mark 7 - turn the tray round after 5 minutes to ensure an even bake.

Notes:
These are ideal for picnics - and very good for lunchboxes!
For extra flavour, add some tomato puree in with the yeast liquid (adjust the amount of water).
Use different fillings - hummus will go well in these - and I'm going to try a lentil and potato hash filling, next time I make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment