No bread is an island

...entire of itself. (With apologies to John Donne!)
I live and breathe breadmaking. I’m an evangelist who would like everyone to make his or her own bread. I want to demystify breadmaking and show it as the easy everyday craft that it is. To this end I endeavour to make my recipes as simple and as foolproof as I possibly can.

I call my blog 'No bread is an island' because every bread is connected to another bread. So a spicy fruit bun with a cross on top is a hot cross bun. This fruit dough will also make a fruit loaf - or Chelsea buns or a Swedish tea ring...
I'm also a vegan, so I have lots of vegan recipes on here - and I'm adding more all the time.

Friday 18 March 2016

RHUBARB PIE - with the simplest pastry ever! (Vegan)

Who would have thought that a pie could be simpler than a crumble? Yet that's the case here!


Pastry too thick? Not so sure.The filling is just tart enough, and the pastry is almost cake-like!
500g of rhubarb, with 100g of sugar, encased in a sweetened bread dough. Sounds simple, and it is - but it's oh, so flavoursome!

Here's a savoury pie, made the same way, with the method of assembly shown in pics. I used 200g of self raising flour, with 25g of sugar, and my wife maintains the pastry is too thick. So I was thinking that next time I'll use 150g of flour and roll the dough out thinner. But then again, I'm sitting here munching a slice of cold pie (and trying to leave some for tomorrow!), and the proportions seem just right. The pastry, bread, call it what you will, is almost cake-like - it's absolutely gorgeous!


Cartouche: Take a square of parchment a little bigger than your dish and fold it in half, then fold again into a square. Now, from the point where the two folds meet, fold it once more, making a triangle. Place the point in the middle of the dish, and press the triangle across the dish and up the side. Give it another couple of centimetres or so, then cut off the excess paper.

So I'll leave the amount of flour up to you - if you think you've made too much for your pie dish - make a little less next time.

200g (1 mug) self raising flour
25g sugar
125g (1/3rd mug) water
25g olive oil


Method:
Mix into a dough using a stiff palette knife or a table knife. Once it forms into a dough, get your hands in. Add more flour or water to obtain a soft, squeezable dough. Place on the worktop (without flour) and knead (flatten and fold) for about 30 seconds. If it needs more flour, add some back in the bowl, then bring it out and knead a little more.

Divide the dough into 2/3rds and 1/3rd and roll the largest out almost to the size of the cartouche:


Then drop the pastry into your pie dish and fill with your cooked rhubarb

Roll out the second piece of dough to fit on top of the pie and trim the edges.

Then bake at 220C for 20 minutes, turning after 10.

Pastry a little thick, but, as I said earlier, the pastry itself is very tasty.
The whole thing only took me 32 minutes (but the filling had been cooked earlier) and I maintain it's easier to make (less faff, certainly) than a crumble.





No comments:

Post a Comment